Blue Algae concern at Diamond Lake

There have been sightings of blue-green algae on Diamond Lake.  Some blue green algae can be highly toxic, affecting the nervous system and/or the liver.  Not all blue-green algae is toxic and we are working with the County to get it tested.  Stay tuned for more information coming from DLPA or the Mundelein Park District.  In the meantime, below is some Q&A for your review:

Q. How do I get sick from blue algae?

A. You can become sick if you swallow, have skin contact with or breathe in airborne water droplets whiles swimming, boating, waterskiing, tubing, bathing or showering in water that has harmful algae.

Q. What are the symptoms of illness?

A. You can experience any of these symptoms:  vomiting, diarrhea, rash, eye irritation, cough, sore throat and headache.  Depending on the toxin present in the algae you can also experience lethargy, muscle aches, confusion and memory impairment and if concentrations are high enough, death.

Q. Why do we have this?

A. Blue-green algae blooms usually in the late summer and early fall.  Our lake faced many challenges this year with water runoff, loss of native rooted plants, and highly turbid waters.  Lack of water clarity and adequate native plant life has created the “perfect storm” of conditions for an algae bloom. 

Q. Should we stay out of the water?

A.  As parents, we recommend avoiding your exposure to this algae.